Update 03/01/16: Imperfect has found an awesome Director of Marketing. After looking through all of the impressive applications, we decided to hire Aleks Strub, the former Director of Marketing for Feastly!
Thank you to everyone that applied. Be on the lookout for more Imperfect Produce job postings!
Have amazing marketing skills? Experience managing others? Want to join a fast-paced startup? Well Imperfect is hiring a Director of Marketing that will ‘hit the (marketing) ground running’!
Check out the job description below!
Imperfect is a mission-driven startup that is creating America’s first major consumer brand for “ugly” produce. One in five fruits and vegetables grown in America never make it off the farm due to tiny cosmetic defects that do not effect quality. Imperfect is on a mission to find a home for these misshapen fruits and veggies in people’s fridges by selling them for a 30-50% discount with a lovable, hip brand. We offer the cheapest and most environmentally friendly produce option, starting with our weekly produce delivery service in Oakland and Berkeley. In addition to building a scalable solution to fight food waste, our business model also generates extra revenue to California farmers. Imperfect has been featured on the Today Show, The New York Times, National Geographic, PBS NewsHour, NPR, Washington Post, Food and Wine, and the front page of the SF Chronicle. We have put together a team of the leading food waste entrepreneurs in the country and are working with a world-class advisors, including Doug Rauch, former President of Trader Joe’s. For more info on Imperfect, check out our recent PBS NewsHour feature:
We need your help to show the world the true beauty of ugly produce. The Director of Marketing is a strategic leadership role focused around driving the growth of our business as well as customer happiness. This role is tasked with deepening our understanding of who our customer is, why they love us, what we can improve and how we can reach more people like them. The Director of Marketing will take those insights along with a hard look at the way we’re currently doing things to continually find and implement new and innovative improvements to our product and experience – both for existing and prospective customers and both online and offline. This position is critical to the growth and success of our produce delivery subscription as the role will be chiefly responsible for driving customer retention and new customer growth.
Managing Outreach Team:
- Manage Imperfect’s Outreach Team (2 full-time and 1 part-time) and work alongside them as they spread the word about Imperfect and make sales out in the community
- Support each of the Outreach Team members, and meet with each of them weekly to coach them, set goals and ensure learning and accountability
- Own the overall Outreach Team weekly sales goals, developing and implementing a plan to increase total sales. This will include evaluating which sales channels are working and devising and executing a plan to optimize the most promising sales channels. It may also include developing toolkits and resources for each channel, including compelling messaging and SOPs to achieve the best possible conversion rates.
- Spearhead the research and development of new scalable models and partnerships for growth (K-12 schools, churches/NPOs, neighborhood listservs, civic association meetings) along with the support of the Marketing Manager.
- Spearhead the continual improvement of Imperfect’s products and user experience. This includes the packaging and contents of our produce boxes as well as the various touchpoints that current and prospective customers have with Imperfect, both online and offline.
- Take pride in and ownership of every touch point a customer has with Imperfect, both digital and in-person. Much of this will be delegated, but the final buck stops with the Director of Marketing to make sure all things product and UX are exceptional for our customers and the public.
- Support and manage the Marketing Manager as he spearheads the creation and implementation of a new customer loyalty program
- Manage the Customer Care Associate and Marketing Manager as they plan community-building events for our customers (i.e., gleaning field trip, farm visit, warehouse parties)
Imperfect’s Digital Presence & Content Writing:
- Manage all paid ads — Facebook, Google Adwords, possibly Google Display Network
- Manage social media presence (both what we’re pushing out internally and what our content-writing firm is pushing out)
- Oversee Marketing Manager to make sure newsletter, website and blog are kept up to date, clean, compelling and professional
- Work with Marketing Manager and CEO to review weekly and monthly website analytics reports as a basis for implementing A/B testing and continual improvements to website and overall marketing strategy
- General marketing support for Imperfect’s new line of business selling to retail grocery may be required.
- Support the Marketing Manager’s development of a system for promoting customer referrals
- Work collaboratively with the Marketing Manager to optimize the referral program over time, including gift cards and possibly a Brand Ambassadors program.
- Oversee the Marketing Manager’s quarterly in-depth customer survey
- Take customers out for coffee to better understand what they love about Imperfect, what we can improve and who our target customer is
- Aggregate all of the various data sources including website analytics, Outreach Team feedback, various customer survey data, mailchimp, etc. Translate these vast data into simple and practical customer profiles and summaries so our team knows who our customers are and how to best reach them.
- Develop new ways to track customer loyalty and customer ordering patterns.
- 2-4 years experience in marketing leadership roles
- 1-2 years experience managing other full-time professionals in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to inspire and motivate a team to achieve sustained high performance and morale
- Very comfortable tracking metrics to assess the effectiveness of different channels and strategies
- Impeccable written and oral communication skills
- Energetic and excited about Imperfect and our mission
- Strong, proven design sense (able to manage graphic designers to successfully create materials with a clean, professional final touch)
- Able to persuasively articulate benefits of Imperfect’s products to customers
- Highly organized and impeccable attention to detail
- Personable and comfortable speaking to strangers
- Self-motivated and self-starter
- Familiarity with a wide variety of the marketing channels that Imperfect is using (Online, squarespace, mailchimp, Kiss Metrics, Facebook Ads, Google Adwords, various social media platforms; Offline – canvassing, tabling, flyering, event-planning.)
- Ability to set, own and meet aggressive customer growth and retention goals
- Ability to work well in a team-focused environment
- Working knowledge of Oakland/Berkeley/Emeryville neighborhoods
- Having a car and a valid driver’s license is preferred
- Bachelors degree preferred
Details of position
This position reports directly to the CEO. It is a full-time, best-efforts basis. We generally work 40 hrs/week but some overtime work may be required. Monday through Friday 9am-5pm is our default although some evening and weekend work will be required for various community engagements. Looking to fill position as soon as possible. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Position is based out of Emeryville warehouse/office, and a small amount of time will be spent out in the community doing outreach. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and 3 references to CEO Ben Simon at firstname.lastname@example.org Interviews given on rolling basis until position is filled.