In honor of Earth Month, we’ll be sharing facts each week about waste and ways for you to make a difference at home. Help us make a bigger impact by learning more and wasting less this week! As a thank you on behalf of our planet, for every fact you share or tip you try out using our hashtag #learnmorewasteless, we’ll enter you into a drawing to win prizes, including a month of free produce!
- The average family wastes 180 gallons of water per week from household leaks. That’s enough to do more than 5 loads of laundry!
- The average American throws away 185 pounds of plastic per year.
- 133 billion pounds of food went un-eaten in the U.S. in 2010. That’s 30% of our food supply and over $161.6B worth of food!
- Be efficient with appliances. Run your dishwasher only when it’s full and you can save ~320 gallons of water annually.
- Re-think how you store and eat food. Bring a reusable bag to the store, shop for staples like beans in the bulk section, and politely decline disposable cutlery when you eat out.
- Buy only what you need. Make a meal plan, write a shopping list, and stick to it!