Photo and recipe by Katie Olsen!
Looking for a fun, new way to use up the carrots in your Imperfect box? These cookies have all the flavors of carrot cake plus cream cheese frosting on top!
- 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour (measured via spoon and level method)*
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Generous pinch of ground ginger
- 1/2 c unsalted butter (1 stick), softened to room temperature
- 1/3 c granulated sugar
- 1/3 c packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature preferable)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c finely grated carrots (from about 1 large carrot)*
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz cream cheese, cold
- 1/4 c (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Extra grated carrots and chopped walnuts, for decoration (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 or 3 baking sheets (depending on size) with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or a hand mixer, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla, and beat on medium speed until fully combined and smooth.
- Dump the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and beat on low speed just until well-combined and no lumps remain.
- Fold in the grated carrots with a spatula until evenly distributed.
- Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving at least 2 inches in between cookies as they will spread. Bake for 11-13 minutes, until outer edges are browned.
- Let cookies cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove to a plate to cool completely while you prepare the frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large bowl using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, or a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter at high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt, and beat at medium to high speed until fully combined and light.
- Spread cooled cookies with cream cheese frosting. There should be enough frosting for a thick layer on each cookie.
- Decorate the tops of cookies with additional grated carrots and chopped walnuts if desired. Serve!
Recipe Notes and Variations
Cookies will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Katie recommends hand-grating the carrots using a box grater in order to get them as finely grated as possible. You can also grate them in a food processor with a grating blade.