shared mission

Giving Back Through Our Reduced-Cost Box

Since we recently received a grant from Kroger’s Zero Hunger Zero Waste Foundation to expand our reduced cost box program, we wanted to take some time to explain just how important this program has become to us as a company. Imperfect was founded to do one thing: make a better food system for everyone. So while saving good food from going to waste is central to that mission, so is making healthy food more accessible to the people who need it most.

Since day one, one of our guiding principles has been to increase food accessibility. This is why we pay all of our employees a living wage and price our produce boxes to be around 30% less than the grocery store. Still, we knew from the start that not everyone could afford an Imperfect box. We also knew that we could do something about it.

At Imperfect, we’re proud to support initiatives that increase access to healthy food by donating thousands of pounds of produce every week to our food bank partners. We’re also proud to offer a reduced-cost box program to SNAP recipients. This is an initiative we started after learning that online food retailers like us aren’t able to accept SNAP/EBT benefits because of antiquated USDA regulations.

Our reduced-cost box program lets folks get produce for an additional 33% less than our regular boxes and is around 50% less than the grocery store. And while we take a financial loss on these boxes, we do this because it’s the right thing to do. We believe that it’s important to make good food more accessible to all of our neighbors, regardless of income.

To date, we have delivered over 284,000 reduced cost boxes to low income families and are excited to deliver even more. We will be using the money from the Zero Hunger Zero Waste foundation to grow our reduced cost box program in Chicago even further so that we can work to help eliminate food deserts on the South side of the city. It’s because of our customers’ commitment to fighting food waste and building a better food system that we can support efforts like this. So thank you for believing that a single small act, like subscribing to a weekly box of produce, can make a difference. Every week, you’re helping us make the world a little bit better.

Here’s what these special boxes mean to our reduced-cost box recipients, in their words:

“The reduced-cost produce box from Imperfect has really changed my life and allowed me to focus on my work and my home, without worrying about where our next healthy meal is going to come from.” – Taylor

“I love my Imperfect produce box as I use it to make homemade baby food for my daughter. It’s what’s healthy for my little girl and I know what is going into it as the produce quality is amazing, just in different shapes.” -Marianne

“After my youngest son was born I was forced to quit my job because childcare for two infants was too costly and ended up being a wash pay wise. This program is helping to keep fresh produce a daily part of my family’s life.”- Patricia

Want to sign up for a reduced-cost box? Anyone who qualifies for SNAP is eligible for a reduced-cost box. Click here to learn more about the program and apply!

Your support makes these reduced-cost boxes possible. Thank you!

Edwina Hill
    July 23, 2019 at 7:37 am

Are you currently offering SNAP/EBT as payment for boxes online? That would be a wonderful benefit as well as get more people to buy stock and more exposure, too! ~EMH~

Imperfect
      July 23, 2019 at 4:12 pm

Hey Edwina,
      We aren’t currently able to accept SNAP due to regulations, but our reduced cost box program is open to anyone who qualifies for SNAP/EBT benefit. Thanks for reading our blog and for caring about this issue that’s so near and dear to our hearts.

Jodine jodi
    September 2, 2019 at 2:17 am

Check out the WIC program. Maybe there’s a way you can work with that program. They give vouchers for farmers market. Maybe they’ll give vouchers for Imperfect Produce.

Imperfect
      September 3, 2019 at 5:51 pm

Thank you for the thoughtful recommendation, Jodine!

Gail McGough
    October 12, 2019 at 2:12 pm

If I qualify financially for the discounted box, but am not in the SNAP program, do I still qualify to buy?

Imperfect
      October 21, 2019 at 5:51 pm

Hey Gail,
      Yes, you should still be qualified to get a reduced cost box based on what you’ve described. Please fill out the form linked in the blog post above and let us know if you have any follow up questions. We’re more than happy to help!

robert matzner
    July 1, 2020 at 6:54 pm

Hey guys, i understand the program and not trying to be picky cause im not a picky person however my box had very soft for immediate use nectarines, a very bruised lime and 2 super small onions that were almost nothing to them when cutting the ends, just wanted to let you know.

Imperfect Foods
      July 1, 2020 at 7:25 pm

Uh oh, so sorry to hear about this! That’s not the kind of imperfect we’re going for! Could you contact our team at this link so we can make it up to you? bit.ly/2FYqBdx

Gabrielle Mathis
    July 1, 2020 at 7:15 pm

Imperfect Foods should give regular box purchasers an option to donate a small amount to the reduced-cost box program each time we make a purchase.

Imperfect Foods
      July 1, 2020 at 7:30 pm

We appreciate this suggestion!

Karen Green
    July 1, 2020 at 7:18 pm

Thank you for providing this wonderful program! Every child should be able to grow up learning to love fruits and vegetables and eating a healthy, varied diet. Good on ya’ Imperfect!

Imperfect Foods
      July 1, 2020 at 7:47 pm

Thanks oh so much for the love! We totally agree!

Sue
    July 1, 2020 at 8:38 pm

I am so pleased with Imperfect. My first order had some crushed berries and wilted veggies. I wrote in and mentioned only maybe to help do a different way of packing. I received a response so quickly and a refund and back onto my back just as quickly. I absolutely am enjoying this. I’m on Social Security so hope I can continue to order.

Imperfect Foods
      July 1, 2020 at 10:59 pm

We’re so happy to hear that you’re enjoying the service! Thank you for your continued help in the fight against food waste.

Barbara
    July 2, 2020 at 2:35 am

I am a huge fan of Imperfect and recommend it to anyone who mentions groceries. I am so impressed by the quality and variety of food that I end up forgetting it’s food that would go to waste otherwise. Thank you for helping me stay healthy during these difficult times. The customer service keeps me returning as a weekly customer even when items haven’t arrived.

Imperfect Foods
      July 2, 2020 at 6:07 pm

Thank you so very much for the love and support! We’re very thankful to be fighting food waste with you!

Kara Lani West
    July 2, 2020 at 4:35 am

I am recently widowed and on Social Security and was turned onto you service by a friend. I was getting food delivered from another outfit but already knew how to cook and didn’t want a lot of sauces but did want more produce…Once I tried your service, I dropped the other outfit I was using. Your organic produce is wonderful, and I have been very pleased with my orders. My only regret is that I haven’t seen you offer any dates again, and those were really tasty, it made me wish I had ordered more when I had the opportunity! It really warms my heart to read all the good you are doing in the communities that suffer from food deserts. I am glad you can do so much to help people who are really in need of fresh foods and the ability to get them. I hope your company continues to grow and prosper and thank you for all that you do for people who really need you. It gives me hope, seeing what you are doing already and I know I tell everyone I can about how terrific your company is to deal with too. Mahalo nui loa!

Imperfect Foods
      July 2, 2020 at 6:51 pm

A’ole pilikia! We’re so happy to have you in our Imperfect family fighting food waste with us! Thanks a ton for spreading the Imperfect love. Keep an eye out for those dates; we reckon they’ll be back soon.

Vickie Davis
    July 6, 2020 at 8:40 am

I Love imperfect
    It truly is the most beautiful produce I have ever seen! It is also the best quality and gives us a great variety of foods that we can not find elsewhere for an affordable price which has been so greatly appreciated during these times. We also feel good that imperfect donates to feeding America, Thank you so much!

Imperfect Foods
      July 28, 2020 at 12:46 am

Happy to hear you’re loving your wonky groceries. We’re so thankful for your love and support!