I’ve found that cleaning out my fridge is very therapeutic because it gives me a clean physical and mental space to cook in. It’s as much a form of self-care as a good workout or an awesome night’s sleep. I also like to view it as an excuse to bake something fun, since I almost always have the ingredients for this chocolate chip zucchini bread around.
Photo and recipe by our friend Davida of The Healthy Maven!
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (for greasing the pan)
- 2 c oat flour (ground up rolled oats)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large zucchini, shredded and excess water squeezed out
- 1/2 c chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: oat flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl mash up the wet ingredients: bananas and add in applesauce, almond milk, maple syrup, and eggs.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, then stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Add mixture to loaf pan and bake for 50-60 mins.
- Your bread is done when the top is firm to the touch and no batter remains when poked with a toothpick or fork.
- Let your chocolate chip zucchini bread sit in the pan for 20 mins before removing and allowing to cool completely on the counter.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- You can use a clean dish towel and place the shredded zucchini inside before squeezing out all of the liquid. Be sure to squeeze hard so it ends up in a large ball that you have to break up into the batter.
- The loaf will last for up to 3 days in an airtight container or on the counter. If you can’t finish it before then, I highly recommend bringing it into your office or to a friend’s house. Sharing is one of my favorite ways to prevent waste.
- Still have a fridge full of food and zucchini to spare? Try this Spring Fennel and Zucchini Salad