This easy, oil-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and gluten-free apple cake is basically free of everything except flavor. It’s made using only one bowl and tart apples. Perfect for a fall dessert, breakfast, or just as a snack.
Recipe and photo by Flora & Vino!
- 2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 Tbsp filtered water)
- 1 heaping c unrefined coconut sugar
- 1/4 c unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk yogurt
- 2 c oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 c unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 c slivered almonds
- 2 c diced tart apples (I used Granny Smith)*
- 2 tart apples, thinly sliced with a mandoline
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a pie pan with parchment paper or lightly grease with avocado or coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, prepare your flax eggs by whisking together flaxseed and filtered water and allow to sit and gel for a few minutes.
- Add coconut sugar, apple sauce, and almond milk yogurt and mix to combine.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the oat flour, baking soda, and cinnamon then add dry ingredients to the wet and mix again to combine.
- Fold in the diced apples and slivered almond and stir to combine.
- Spread mixture into an even layer in the pie pan then top with thinly sliced apples.
- Bake for 40-45 mins, until golden brown around the edges and a fork comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to one week and freeze for long term storage.
Gluten Free Apple Cake Notes and Variations
- When choosing apples for your cake be sure to select varieties with a tart flavor like Granny Smith, Pink Pearl or Northern Spy. Make sure your apples are firm to the touch, you don’t want them turning into apple sauce when you bake.
- Get creative with your fillings and flavors by adding walnuts, lemon juice or raisins to your cake.