Recipe and photos by Maren Ellingboe
This healthy weeknight dinner comes together in minutes thanks to fast-cooking salmon and quick pickled cucumbers. We love how it lends itself to convenient meal prep, since the rice and the pickles can easily be made ahead of time.
- 4 Persian cucumbers, very thinly sliced*
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ c unseasoned rice vinegar*
- ¼ red onion, very thinly sliced*
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil, such as canola or vegetable*
- 1 lb salmon, cut into 4 fillets*
- 2 ½ c cooked white rice, for serving
- Shichimi togarashi or toasted sesame seeds (optional)*Ingredient available to add to your Imperfect box
- If you haven’t already, cook the white rice according to the directions on the package. We recommend a water to rice ratio of 2:1.
- Place the cucumbers and salt in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice vinegar, red onion and sugar to bowl and stir to combine. Let sit at room temperature while you cook the salmon.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place salmon fillets in pan, and cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook until other side is golden brown and salmon is cooked through, 1-2 minutes.
- Divide rice between 4 bowls. Top each bowl with cucumber salad and salmon fillet. Sprinkle with shichimi togarashi and/or sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- Shichimitogarashi is a Japanese spice mix containing nori, and adds a nice umami flavor to an otherwise simple dish. It can be found in many grocery stores or online.
- This quick pickling method works well for other vegetables too—try it with corn, green beans or radishes to add a hit of acidity to your cooking!
- This format of rice bowl + tangy vegetables + protein would work well with any of the other protein options you’ve gotten in your box.