Keep this delicious and easy sheet pan recipe bookmarked for crazy days when you need a simple but delicious dinner recipe. Though chicken breasts have a reputation for being dry, marinating them in a spicy yogurt mixture tenderizes the meat and adds moisture as well as flavor. Depending on how much spice you like, you can adjust the number of chiles you use for your chipotle chicken to your preference. If you like, serve the chicken and vegetables with warmed corn tortillas or black beans for a heartier meal.
Recipe and photo by Maren Ellingboe
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1-2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1½ tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp ground pepper, divided
- 1-1 ½ lbs chicken breasts, cut in half
- 4 c fresh sweet corn (from 4 ears corn)
- 2 sweet potatoes, scrubbed & cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Pickled red onions, for serving
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- Sliced jalapenos, for serving
- ½ c Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Mix yogurt, chipotle chiles, ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper in a medium bowl. Add chicken breasts and coat with yogurt mixture. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spread corn and sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. Toss with olive oil and remaining salt and pepper. Make 4 wells in the vegetables, and place a piece of chicken in each well. Roast until chicken reaches 165° on an instant-read thermometer and vegetables are browned, about 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make lime yogurt: mix yogurt, garlic, lime zest and juice, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Serve chipotle chicken and vegetables with lime yogurt, and top with avocado, red onions, cilantro and jalapenos.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- Quick pickling the red onions tones down the harsh bite of the onions, and adds a delicious tangy flavor to a multitude of dishes. To make them, dissolve ½ tsp kosher salt in ¼ c water and ¼ c distilled vinegar. Add ½ sliced red onion and let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.