What’s the best way to make the most of a pile of citrus fruit? Turn it into a moist, almond-flavored citrus upside down cake! The jewel-toned fruit is showcased to maximum effect when cooked with simple syrup—use a combination of blood and navel oranges and grapefruit for maximum effect.
Recipe makes 1 citrus upside down cake.
- 1¼ c sugar, divided
- ¼ c water
- 1 grapefruit, peeled & cut into ½-inch slices
- 2 oranges, peeled & cut into ½-inch slices (preferably a mix of blood and regular oranges)
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c almond flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 c yogurt
- 2 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 Tbsp grapefruit zest
- ¼ c neutral oil, such as canola or avocado
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper and brush all sides and bottom well with oil. Brush the paper too.
- Place ¼ c sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer, and cook, swirling occasionally, until thickened, about 6-8 minutes. Pour syrup over bottom of pan.
- Arrange orange slices over syrup in pan. Cut into segments to fill in any gaps.
- Add dry ingredients (including remaining 1 c sugar) to a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients, then add eggs and whisk to combine. Whisk in yogurt, citrus zest and oil until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter over citrus slices and spread to evenly coat.
- Bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out clean when inserted in the center, about 40-50 minutes.
- Let cool completely in pan, then invert onto a serving plate.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- The grapefruit adds a bitter contrast to the sweet oranges, but if you prefer you can use another large orange in its place.
- Zest your oranges and grapefruit before peeling and slicing.
- Use a serrated knife to cut off the peels for easier slicing, ensuring your slices will stay intact.
- If you’d like to brown the top of the citrus upside-down cake a little more, toast with a blowtorch or broil it briefly before serving.
- Do you still have a load of citrus on the counter? Try this refreshing Citrus and Beet Salad or these Candied Citrus Peels.