A comforting, hearty dinner to get through the cold winter nights, this classic beef chili is even better the next day. Garnish with your choice of toppings, and serve with cornbread for a delicious and flavorful dinner!
Recipe & Photo by Maren Ellingboe
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 c beef stock
- 2 15-oz cans pinto beans, drained
- 1 14.5-oz can crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- Chopped green or red onions
- Shredded cheddar cheese*
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced jalapeños
- Sliced avocado
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and spices and cook until meat is browned, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Add stock, beans, and tomatoes. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Serve your classic beef chili alongside garnishes of your choice.
For not so classic beef chili:
For vegetarian chili, try this recipe or replace the beef with seitan or tempeh, and use vegetable broth instead of beef stock. You could also try it with ground chicken or turkey and chicken stock for a lighter version!