Recipe & Photo by Maren Ellingboe
Never buy jarred tomato sauce again! This easy recipe comes together quickly thanks to a base of canned tomatoes. It’s perfect tossed with pasta and sprinkled with a little parmesan cheese, spread onto pizza, or as a dipping sauce to arancini or mozzarella sticks.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil*
- 1 yellow onion, chopped*
- 5 garlic cloves, minced*
- 2 28-oz cans crushed tomatoes*
- ½ c chopped packed fresh basil*
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano, or 1 tsp dried oregano*
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt*
- 1 tsp ground pepper*
- 2 Tbsp butter*
*Ingredient available at Imperfect Foods
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over low heat. Add onion and cook until translucent and beginning to brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes, basil, oregano and salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat until flavors have blended, about 30 minutes. Stir in butter.
- If you prefer a smooth sauce, puree using an immersion blender, or in batches with a blender. For a chunkier sauce, serve as-is.
Recipe Notes and Variations
This sauce freezes beautifully, so make a big batch and freeze for future weeknight meals.