by Impossible Foods Chef J. Michael Melton
Imperfect is delighted to finally offer plant-based meat from Impossible Foods to our customers. To celebrate this partnership and help you get cooking, we’re sharing some of our favorite recipes featuring the Impossible™ Burger.
Gyros are a delightful street food that’s at home in any kitchen. There’s no lamb in this recipe, but we bet you won’t even miss it.
For the Gyro
- 1 package Impossible Burger*
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp cumin*
- 2 tsp fresh oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp rosemary* (fresh or dried)
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
For the Tzatziki Sauce
- 1/4 cucumber, diced*
- 2 tsp fresh dill, minced*
- 1 clove garlic, minced*
- 1/2 c plain yogurt*
- 1 tsp lemon juice*
- 1 tsp olive oil*
For Building Your Gyros
- 1/4 c cherry tomatoes*
- 1/4 red onion*
- 3 pita breads*
*Ingredient available at Imperfect Foods
- Cook the Impossible: Mix all the spices and combine with the Impossible™ Burger. Form into flat oval pieces. Heat a pan over medium-high heat and sear 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Make tzatziki sauce: Peel and finely dice the cucumber and mince garlic and dill. Combine with yogurt and lemon juice — whisk until well incorporated. Add the oil slowly until fully incorporated and emulsified. (Make it 100% plant-based with plant-based yogurt.)
- Assemble the gyros: Slice the cherry tomatoes and ¼ of a red onion. Top each pita with gyro meat, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and tzatziki sauce.
- Serve, share and enjoy! Makes three gyros.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- Pair this gyro with some grilled eggplant for a delicious meal.