Recipe and photos by Dafna Ben-Zeev of Freshly Dafna
Loaded with tender sweet potatoes, fresh kale, and spicy chorizo, this colorful hash is the perfect go-to breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- 2 Tbsp avocado or olive oil *
- 1 small onion, diced *
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes (about 4 c) *
- 4-5 thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp salt *
- 1/4 tsp pepper *
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped *
- 1 package Upton’s Seitan Chorizo*
*Ingredient available at Imperfect Foods
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat and saute the onion until soft and just starting to wilt, about 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the sweet potato cubes, thyme, salt, and pepper to the onions and stir well to coat, then cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook sweet potatoes, uncovered for another 3-4 minutes stirring often.
- Break up the chorizo into the pan, add the kale leaves, and stir everything together.
- Cook another 2-3 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender and starting to brown, kale cooked, and chorizo hot!
- Top if off with some hot sauce, red chilli pepper flakes, avocado, or dollop of crema.
Recipe Notes and Variations
Kale stems are edible! And just as tasty as the leaves. To use the stems in this recipe, parcook them beforehand by blanching, steaming, or sautéing with oil over a medium flame. Then add them in when recipe calls for the kale leaves.