It’s no secret that we love fennel. But we know that it’s not always the easiest vegetable to figure out in the kitchen. Our secret to enjoying fresh fennel all summer long is grilling it because it’s an easy and elegant way to transform this tough bulb into something tender and sweet. Grilled fennel is a perfect side to accompany chicken, steak, or seafood but it can also star as a sandwich topping or salad ingredient!
Recipe and photo by Ellie O’Brien of Hungry by Nature
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 1 ½ Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Remove outer pieces of fennel bulb and fronds and slice bulb lengthwise at ½-inch thickness.
- Brush fennel on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill until tender and charred, about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve your grilled fennel with shaved Parmesan cheese.
Grilled Fennel Recipe Notes and Variations
You can easily prepare fennel indoors on a grill pan or outside on a grill. It all depends on what the weather is like where you are and what equipment you have. If you’re preparing it on a grill pan indoors, you can always finish it in the oven to make sure it’s tender all the way through. For an extra burst of flavor, serve your grilled fennel with a sprinkling of fennel seeds and a squeeze of lemon.