by Impossible Foods Chef J. Michael Melton
Imperfect is delighted to finally offer plant-based meat from Impossible Foods to our customers. To celebrate this partnership and help you get cooking, we’re sharing some of our favorite recipes featuring the Impossible™ Burger.
Spaghetti and meatballs are a go-to comfort food because you can taste the love that goes into making them. This plant-based take on meatballs is great with spaghetti, on an Impossible meatball sub, or simply on their own.
- 1 package Impossible Burger
- 2 Tbsp thyme
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 Tbsp breadcrumbs
- 28 oz can of San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp oregano
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 egg (optional)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb spaghetti
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prep your ingredients: Preheat the oven to 425° F. Dice one yellow onion. Remove the stems from the fresh herbs and finely chop (thyme, oregano, basil).
- Make the meatballs: In a bowl, combine the Impossible Burger, ¼ cup of diced yellow onion, 2 cloves of minced garlic, breadcrumbs, egg, 2 tablespoons of grated cheese, red pepper, and 1 tablespoon each of thyme, oregano, and basil. Mix until incorporated. Form 2 oz meatballs and pack tightly. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, bake in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. (Make it 100% plant-based with plant-based cheese.)
- Make the sauce: Sweat the remaining onions and minced garlic with olive oil until they are soft. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Once the sauce has finished cooking, add the remaining fresh herbs and cook for 1 more minute, then season to taste.
- Boil pasta and assemble: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a generous pinch of salt and cook the spaghetti according to the package’s instructions. Add the meatballs to the finished sauce and serve over spaghetti. Top with your choice of cheese.
- Serve, share and enjoy! Makes approximately 12 meatballs, serves four.