When we give back to nature, we give back to ourselves.ron finley
How is planting a garden in your community revolutionary? Just ask Ron Finley.
Frustrated with the lack of healthy food in his part of LA, Ron took matters into his own hands, picked up a shovel and built a garden. What happened after that was an eye-opening look into how all of us can make real, positive social change where we live.
In our thought-provoking conversation, Ron shares the lessons he learned from his time in community activism and speaks candidly about the joys and challenges of running a community garden. He shares his thoughtful take on how urban design shapes all of us when we could actually do more to shape it. We conclude with some practical steps you can take to make a change in your community and thoughts on how to get started on building a garden wherever you live.
This episode is inspiring and packed with lessons you can share with your community to help nurture positive change. Warning: there is some adult language that may not be suitable for children.
- Learn more about Ron’s work on his website
- Ron Finley’s TED Talk is a must-watch
- Keep up to speed on Ron’s work on his Instagram
- Watch the trailer for the documentary about Ron’s work in LA: “Can You Dig This?”
- Ron is a big fan of using old cardboard to sheet mulch
- We touched on the benefits of worm composting. Here are some resources to get started