by Impossible Foods Chef J. Michael Melton
Imperfect is delighted to finally offer plant-based meat from Impossible Foods to our customers. To celebrate this partnership and help you get cooking, we’re sharing some of our favorite recipes featuring the Impossible™ Burger.
If you can make meat from plants, can you make a cheesesteak outside of Philly? We think so. Wherever you are, this plant-based take on a classic, with caramelized onions and cheese between two hoagie buns, is the ultimate comfort food.
- 1 package Impossible Burger*
- 1 c cola
- 7 oz water
- 3 6-inch hoagie rolls
- 1 white onion
- 7 oz American cheese
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
*Ingredient available at Imperfect Foods
- Prep the caramelized onions: Thinly slice the onion. Combine the sliced onion, cola, and a pinch of salt in a small pot and heat to a simmer. Cook down until the onions are reduced and the cola is completely evaporated. Be careful not to burn them!
- Make the cheese sauce: To make the cheese sauce, combine cheese and water in a small sauce pot and bring to medium heat. Whisk until fully incorporated, and keep warm for serving. (Make it 100% plant-based by using plant-based cheese.)
- Cook the Impossible: Heat the oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Crumble the Impossible Burger into the pan and sear while stirring. Add salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Assemble sandwich: Once the Impossible is cooked, stir in caramelized onion. Place this mixture on 6-inch hoagie roll, and top with cheese sauce. Place your assembled sandwich in the oven and set to broil for approximately 20 seconds, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve, share, and enjoy! Makes three cheesesteak sandwiches.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- Try pairing this sandwich with some of our go-to side dishes to make it a full meal.
- When caramelizing your onions, remember to be patient, as properly reducing them down can take 30-45 minutes.