Recipe and photos by Freshly Dafna
This humble, hearty dish is packed with protein and works perfectly as a side or vegetarian main dish. Cooked to perfection, one-pot mujadara brings out the goodness of grains, legumes, and veggies all in one bowl, topped off with caramelized onions, parsley, and a side yogurt.
- 1 c lentils
- 2 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 3/4 c basmati (or other long grain rice)
- 1 3/4 c water or broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin
- Arrange a fine mesh strainer securely in the sink.
- Rinse the lentils well and place in a medium sauce pot and add water so lentils are covered with at least 2 inches of water.
- Bring the lentils to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and cook, uncovered, for another 3-5 minutes. Cook the lentils until they just al dente. They should be slightly soft but still have a bite to them. The cooking time with depend on the type of lentils used. While lentils are cooking, rinse the rice several times in the strainer. Set rice aside in a small bowl.
- Once lentils are cooked, drain the lentils into the strainer.
- Return the pot to the stove and heat oil over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, carefully add the rice (it may spit if there is excess water) and saute in the oil until rice is well coated and golden.
- Add the water or broth, spices, and lentils to the rice and bring to a boil. Then turn down the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn off the heat and let steam in the pot for another 5 minutes, without opening the lid.
- Serve your mujadara with sauteed onion, a handful of freshly chopped herbs, yogurt, or a sprinkling of sumac!
Mujadara Notes and Variations
- If you don’t have brown lentils handy you can use French green lentils as a substitute for your mujadara. Either one works but just remember to rinse the lentils before you throw them in the pot.
- For toppings, we recommend getting creative with whatever you have around. Your favorite hot sauce, freshly chopped mint, or some za’atar would all work quite well.