We made salted caramel from scratch for our Salted Caramel Apple Pie. Caramel can be tricky, but the key is just to be patient! It may take a full 15 minutes of watching over and stirring the caramel, but the end result is so satisfying. This recipe definitely works well with your favorite store-bought variety though!
Ingredients for Apple Pie
- 6-7 apples (We love baking with Pink Lady, Granny Smith, or Honey Crisp apples!), cored, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 c flour
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 2 homemade or store-bought pie crusts
- ¾ c salted caramel (store-bought or homemade)
Ingredients for Salted Caramel
Makes 3/4 cup
- 1/2 c sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter, softened
- ¼ c cream
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Instructions for Salted Caramel
- In a small saucepan, heat the sugar on medium-low heat until it is completely melted, stirring gently every 20 seconds or so. The sugar will clump up before melting slowly. Be patient and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Once melted, remove from heat immediately and stir in butter. Expect it to bubble a lot. Keep stirring for a few minutes until combined.
- Pour in cream and sea salt. Stir until everything is combined.
- Pour into a small bowl and allow to cool completely before using. It will thicken up while cooling. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for one month or in the freezer for three months.
Instructions for Apple Pie
- If using homemade caramel, make that first!
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place apple slices into a large bowl. Add sugar, lemon juice, flour and spices and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Place one of the pie crusts on a pie pan. Fill with apples. Pour ½ cup salted caramel over the apples.
- Top apple with the second crust. Make a lattice topping if desired! Pour remaining ¼ cup salted caramel over the crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated oven. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F. Continue baking for 35-45 minutes, until apples are soft.