Photo and recipe from Freshly Dafna
Warm the soul and treat your body with this hearty, and healthy lentil and sweet potato salad. This perfect midday lunch or soothing dinner recipe is perfect for any day or night of the week.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 2 Tbsp avocado or olive oil1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c lentils
- 3 c water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 2 Tbsp sun dried tomatoes (or 1/2 c diced tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes)
- 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Heat oven to 400 degrees, place sweet potatoes in a bowl, add oil and 1/2 tsp salt and stir until well coated. Spread sweet potatoes out onto a baking sheet trying to space the cubes out as much as possible.
- Cook sweet potatoes in upper portion of the oven and bake for 25-28 minutes or until sweet potato cubes are golden bowl and crispy. Stirring the potatoes half way through cooking.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, prepare the lentils. Rinse the lentils well in a strainer and place in a medium pot with 3 cups of water and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes (cook time will depend on the type of lentils used). Cook lentils until they are just tender. Drain the lentils into the strainer and remove the bay leaves.
- Place the lentils and sweet potato into a bowl and add the remaining ingredients to season and mix well. Taste and adjust per your preference adding additional salt, cayenne and/or lemon juice.
- Top with yogurt or creamy tahini if you’ve got it!
Recipe Notes and Variations
- When making your lentil and sweet potato salad, it’s important to cook the lentils just right. Since all lentils cook differently, try tasting them for doneness as they’re cooking. The lentils should hold their shape, but also be tender.
- While you can use whatever type of lentils you have around, we recommend green lentils for a salad, since they stay firm after cooking and have a lovely flavor for salads!