featured / reducing waste

Get Crafty With Our Packaging This Halloween

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we had to pause our box reuse program earlier this year in an effort to keep our employees and customers safe and healthy. But that doesn’t mean your Imperfect packaging has to go to waste! With a little inspiration and a crafty spirit you can transform it into a creative Halloween costume. As the saying goes, “one person’s recyclables are another person’s zebra costume.” Or something like that.

From masks to pet costumes, we’ve rounded up a few of our favorite DIY ideas to reuse packaging.

Easy Zebra Costume

Zebra costume made from cardboard to reuse packaging

It’s not just cats who like to hang out inside our boxes. Small to medium-sized humans do as well. Think inside the box with this unique zebra costume made from your Imperfect box. You can also keep your treats close throughout the night because it doubles as a secret snack carrier.

Astro-mutt

Astronaut dog costume made from cardboard to reuse insulation

We’ll never know what our dogs want to be when they grow up. Even if you don’t think your dog aspires to be an astronaut, why hold them back? With some strategic snips, you can turn the box insulation into an out-of-this-world costume for your pup.

Raised Bed

Plant costume made from cardboard to reuse packaging

This costume is perfect for unapologetic gardening nerds who want to fly their veggie flag high. You can grow whatever you like for your raised bed costume, but we recommend staying away from anything too prickly.

Fruit Masks

Fruit mask costume made from cardboard to reuse packaging

Not in the mood to dress up as a terrifying ghoul or a character from your favorite Black Mirror episode this Halloween? Keep it light with these easy and fun-to-make masks. Cut out felt shapes to add color, stems, and details to the masks and transform your face into a pumpkin, a lemon, or a strawberry.

Dog Carrot

Carrot dog costume made from cardboard

Do you have a nap-loving dog who’s pretty much rooted to their bed? This costume is perfect for the lazy lounge dog who occasionally greets the trick-or-treaters but mostly concentrates on the “treat” part.

If you enjoyed this post on reusing packaging and want more inspiration for sustainable holidays, be sure to check out our top ideas for giving less wasteful gifts!

Vicki Davis
    September 27, 2020 at 8:22 pm

I received my first box. I had 3 molded peaches and a batch of wilted lettuce I had to throw this away. Does this happen alot?

Imperfect
      September 30, 2020 at 9:10 pm

This should never happen! We always guarantee our products to arrive fresh and delicious upon arrival. If anything ever gets delivered less than delicious, please get in contact with our customer care team so we can help make that up to you: bit.ly/2LAewhA

Jo Ann McCarthy
      October 1, 2020 at 7:50 pm

I’ve been with Imperfect Foods for about 6 months now. They are the best for refunding your money if something is spoiled or missing items. Sometimes their deliveries are delayed for unforeseen circumstances. Don’t give up on them, they are getting so much better! Their meats, vegetables, snacks and fruit are so good!

Imperfect
        October 1, 2020 at 8:38 pm

We abso-fruit-ly love having you in our family and we appreciate your loyalty and support! 💚

Barbara A Caruso Sr
      October 2, 2020 at 9:03 pm

Every once in a while something like that might happen. We have been with them for about a year now. During this time we had about 4 or 5 times where we needed to report something bad or missing. Not bad for all the time we have been here.
      We are enjoying this company and I know you will too.

Judy Hamilton
      October 5, 2020 at 7:38 pm

More than it should. I don’t order fragile items when it is hot out. Stick to root veggies or things brought on ice. They will give you credit if you call. Always.

Margy Tucker
    October 1, 2020 at 3:12 pm

I received my first box last week and everything was great. I was one potato shy of the three but that was ok. We have enjoyed our box very much. Can’t wait for my next delivery. M.T.

Imperfect
      October 1, 2020 at 8:33 pm

So berry happy you’re happy with everything! Sorry about the one missing potato though. Please get in contact with our customer care team so we can help make that up to you: bit.ly/2LAewhA

Karalee Manning
    October 5, 2020 at 5:54 am

I love my Imperfect box of foods!!!
    I have not been disappointed once. Everything is wonderful.

Imperfect Foods
      October 11, 2020 at 8:16 pm

So happy to hear that Karalee! Thanks for fighting food waste with us!💚

Stephanie Shaddinger
    October 6, 2020 at 2:04 am

Hi,
    The customer service is excellent and quick to respond to your concerns. I feel that with fruits and veggies we should be prepared to sometimes get something that isn’t good. It happens. But again they are quick to refund you and I plan on staying regardless of the few things that have happened. I look at the big picture here and see that we are all making a change. So just notify them if something is wrong asap.

Imperfect Foods
      October 11, 2020 at 10:41 pm

Thanks so much for your love and understanding, Stephanie!

Nickole Brown
    October 6, 2020 at 5:03 am

I love Imperfect Foods. Everything is just the right size for my family. The few issues I’ve had have been resolved quickly and with great satisfaction. I tell everyone I come across. We have also cut our grocery bill in half(at least).

Imperfect Foods
      October 14, 2020 at 10:25 pm

Yay! Thank you for fighting food waste with us! 😊

Linda Barton
    October 14, 2020 at 9:21 pm

Please cancel my orders from now on.

Sorry, but family issues can not be helped
    and I will not be home for awhile.
    Well let you know when to start again.
    Thanks, LInda Barton

Imperfect Foods
      October 14, 2020 at 11:32 pm

We’re happy to help get that taken care of for you! Give our care team a ring at (510) 595-6683 or drop a line here so we can help: bit.ly/2FYqBdx 💚

Leslie Hunten
    October 15, 2020 at 3:11 am

I got my first box, and what a treat – a beautiful flower bouquet! Does this happen often? Everything was in good condition, and we got some bonus potatoes. My weekly grocery shopping trip was much shorter. This is great!

Matthias
    October 15, 2020 at 5:32 am

Awesome food (99% of the time – still better than Safeway etc.!) and great value for what you get. I really enjoy the availability of sustainable items like oat milk etc. – hope to see more of those. I also love the minimization of waste this way – it makes an impact. Thanks!

Caroline Juzenas
    October 15, 2020 at 12:13 pm

My boxes are so fresh and pretty, I’ve taken a photo of the open box to show friends at work! I’ve been “eating ugly” now for several years with Imperfect and love them! Any mixups get resolved easily.

Dorcia White-Brake
    October 15, 2020 at 5:28 pm

I love, love, love my imperfect foods boxes. The food is always fresh and delicious. I used to shop at a very expensive online grocer and so many of my items would not come or the wrong items would come. I don’t worry about that with Imperfect foods. I get what I ordered every time and loading up my box is super simple. Thanks guys!