breakfast / dessert

Cinnamon Apple Oat Muffins

There’s muffin wrong with an oaty, warm apple muffin topped with a brown sugar cinnamon crumble for breakfast. Or second breakfast, or lunch, or after school snack, or post-dinner-pre-dessert palate cleanser. Fresh apples, rolled oats, whole wheat flour, and coconut oil make this fall treat a little healthy, very tasty, and perfect fuel for a day of leaf-peeping.

Makes 12 Cinnamon Apple Muffins

Ingredients

Crumble Topping:

1. 3 Tbs Imperfect Foods Rolled Oats
  2. 1 Tbs butter, melted
  3. 1 tsp brown sugar
  4. 1⁄2 tsp Imperfect Foods Ground Cinnamon

Muffins:

• 1 c Imperfect Foods Rolled Oats
  • 1 c whole wheat or all-purpose flour
  • 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
  • 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp Imperfect Foods Ground Cinnamon
  • 1⁄4 c honey
  • 1⁄3 c melted refined coconut oil (or any neutral oil like grapeseed oil or vegetable oil)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1⁄3 c brown sugar
  • 2 c shredded, unpeeled apples (about two large)

Instructions

1. Make the crumble topping by combining oats, butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with muffin cups.
  3. Put oats in a food processor and pulse into a flour-like consistency. Combine oat flour, wheat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
  4. Mix together honey, oil, eggs and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add sugar and stir until combined. Add apples; stir until well combined. Add in flour mixture and stir until just combined.
  5. Divide batter into 12 muffin cups and sprinkle tops with crumble. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and enjoy it!

Recipe Notes and Variations

six baked cinnamon apple muffins

Kristin
    October 14, 2020 at 7:02 pm

The recipe does not specify when to add the shredded apples. I presume with the wet ingredients? Also, this says to bake at 305 degrees. Shouldn’t that be 350?

Imperfect Foods
      October 14, 2020 at 11:37 pm

Thanks for pointing that out so we could correct this post! The apples are added with the wet ingredients and the oven should be set to 350!

Mikaela
    October 14, 2020 at 10:02 pm

Is the heat setting a typo? It says 305 degrees but should it be 350?

Imperfect Foods
      October 14, 2020 at 11:31 pm

Oops! Yes that was a typo! We got that corrected to 350, thanks for letting us know!

Natalie L
    October 16, 2020 at 12:48 am

This recipe is super yummy and easy! I doubled the crumb topping to fill all 12 muffins and used AP Flour since I didn’t have wheat, it turned out good. I definitely recommend making if you have apples on hand.

Macie
    October 16, 2020 at 3:19 pm

So yummy! I made these last night and they were delicious! I used what I already had at home, so I swapped honey for maple syrup and melted butter in place of the coconut oil. I definitely recommend doubling the crumble topping! Saving this to make again!

Melissa
    October 20, 2020 at 10:53 pm

I just made these and YUM!!! The house smelled amazing, and the finished result is the yummiest, most moist muffins ever! The crumbly topping has the perfect crispness, and all the flavors come through nicely. I might add more cinnamon next time for just a bit more kick.

Also, the ingredients list doesn’t mention salt, but the instructions do. I guessed and used 1/2 tsp. I also don’t have a food processor, so I just threw the oats in whole (I only had quick-cooking on hand). They turned out well! 😀