Plum and ginger go together like Netflix and chill. Our friend Valerie is sharing this delicious Plum and Ginger Old Fashioned recipe that is as beautiful as it is delicious. We’ll be taking advantage of stone fruit season with this cocktail!
Recipe and photo by Valerie Smeshko!
Recipe makes 4 servings of Plum and Ginger Old Fashioned
- 2 oz Bourbon
- 0.75 oz Ruby Port
- 1 oz plum ginger honey syrup*
- 2 c water
- 1/4 c grated ginger
- 3 sliced plums
- 1/4 c honey
- For the syrup, combine water, grated ginger and sliced plums in a small saucepan.
- Bring to boil, simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until plums start to fall apart, then mix in honey. Strain and allow to cool before using.
- For the cocktail, stir all ingredients with ice until chilled, then strain into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a thin slice of fresh ginger.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- Excess syrup can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- Bourbon pairs quite well with fresh citrus, which also accents the ginger nicely.
- If you’ve got an orange or lemon around, squeeze or zest it over the finished drink for an extra tangy dimension.
- For a fancy dinner night, pair with a plate of Spring Onion and Asparagus Gnocchi with Burrata.