Making delicious barbecue chicken doesn’t have to mean firing up the grill. All you need for this easy recipe is your oven! Busy weeknights shouldn’t mean you have to sacrifice having a flavorful and colorful dinner. We’ve paired tangy BBQ chicken drumsticks with a fresh, cool cucumber-dill yogurt dipping sauce for a meal that’s sure to please even the pickiest eaters.
Photo and recipe by Cooks Venture
- 8 pasture-raised chicken drumsticks
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground yellow mustard
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ c barbecue sauce
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into 1-in wedges
- ½ c greek yogurt
- 1 mini cucumber, shredded (about 1 c)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1-2 stems fresh dill, finely chopped
- ½ pound broccoli, cut into florets
Prepare & Roast the Chicken & Potatoes
- Place a sheet pan in the oven and preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the spices and half of the barbecue sauce. Stir to thoroughly coat.
- Arrange the seasoned chicken in an even layer in the middle of the sheet, then place the seasoned potatoes around the chicken.
- Roast, rotating the sheet pan halfway through, until the chicken is browned and the potatoes are golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven, leaving the oven on.
Make the Dip
- While the chicken and potatoes roast, combine the Greek yogurt, cucumber, vinegar, and as much of the garlic paste and dill as you’d like in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Dress & Roast the Broccoli
- While the chicken and potatoes continue to roast, place the broccoli in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Arrange the seasoned broccoli on the sheet pan with the chicken and potatoes.
- Roast until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, the broccoli is lightly browned, and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F, about 8 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven.
Finish the Chicken & Serve
- Spoon or brush the remaining barbecue sauce onto the roasted chicken. Serve the glazed chicken with the roasted potatoes and broccoli and dipping sauce on the side.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- Place the chicken, spice blend, and BBQ sauce in a sealed bag and marinate overnight to build even more flavor and save a step the next day.
- As the flavor of raw garlic can be intense, we recommend only adding a little bit at a time and tasting as you go until you find the perfect balance for you.
- Want to save a clean up step? Line your sheet pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper to prevent sticking and make washing it later a breeze.