Bursting with flavor, this Vegan Pumpkin Pie recipe is made extra delicious and unique with the addition of beets. Its rich, smooth texture and buttery crust make this pie a favorite at any table.
Photo and recipe by Love Beets
Makes 12 vegan pumpkin pies
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- ½ c dark rye flour
- 1 Tbsp vegan granulated cane sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 c (2 sticks) cold vegan butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 c water
- ¼ c apple cider vinegar
- 1 c ice
- 4 ½ c canned pumpkin (or substitute with 2 medium roasted butternut squash)
- 2 (8.8oz) packages Love Beets Organic Cooked Beets
- ½ c cashews
- 1 c water
- 4 ½ Tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
- ½ c vegan granulated cane sugar
- ½ c vegan light brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground clove
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ c brandy
- 1 can coconut cream
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Make the crust:
- In a large bowl, sift the flours, sugar, and salt together.
- Add the butter pieces to coat with the flour mixture. Using a bench scraper or pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour, working until mostly pea-sized pieces form – being careful to not over blend.
- Combine the apple cider vinegar, water, and ice in a small bowl.
- Pour 4 tablespoons of the vinegar mixture over the flour mixture and fold it in until it is fully incorporated, adding more water into the mixture, 3 to 4 tablespoons at a time, until the dough is able to come together in a ball.
- It is ok to have a few dry bits remaining, just sprinkle with a few more drops of water if needed.
- Divide the dough into two, Shape each half into a flat disc, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. The dough will keep wrapped tightly in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 1 month.
Roll out crust:
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out each disc into one even circle large enough to cut out six 5-inch pie crusts with some extra space.
- Cut 12 mini pie crusts from both rolled out discs and gently slide each crust into a tart pan. Use the dough overhang to create the rim of the crusts.
- Cover and freeze for at least 10 minutes while making the filling.
Make the filling:
- In a blender, add the beets, cashews, and water and blend on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the canned pumpkin and puree until extremely smooth.
- Add the cornstarch or arrowroot powder and blend on low speed for 30 seconds.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the blended beet-pumpkin mixture with the sugars, spices, and salt.
- Stir in the brandy until combined.
- Divide the vegan pumpkin pie filling equally between the pie crusts.
Bake and serve:
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake the pies for 45 to 55 minutes until lightly browned, cracked, and well set.
- Remove the pies from the oven and let cool. Note: The filling will not be set after baking, allow to chill and firm up for at least 2 hours or overnight.
To make the coconut whipped cream:
- Scoop the coconut cream layer from the chilled can.
- With a hand mixer, whip the cream until light and fluffy, about 20 seconds.
- Gently fold in the maple syrup and vanilla.
- Serve your pies chilled and topped with coconut whipped cream.