featured / reducing waste

Imperfect’s Zero-Waste Holiday Guide

Handmade gingerbread ornaments

Did you know that Americans generate 25% more trash between Thanksgiving and New Year’s than any other time of the year? The good news is that there are plenty of ways to celebrate the season and show your loved ones the generosity they deserve without being overly generous to your trash can. Check out our zero-waste gift guide to get started!

Decorate Differently

One of the most fun parts about getting ready for the holidays is decorating your living space. Why buy new decorations that come with mountains of packaging when you could just make your own? In addition to preventing waste, making your own is more affordable and a fun way to get crafty and spend quality time with your friends or family. For some inspiration check out our guide to zero-waste holiday decorations.

Imperfect Holiday Gift Box
Imperfect Holiday Gift Boxes

Give Responsibly

• Imperfect Holiday Gift Boxes
    If you want an easy way to lean into less wasteful giving, send your loved ones our first ever Imperfect Holiday Box. Each box is filled with delicious food-waste-fighting snacks like broken pretzel pieces made perfect with chocolate and peppermint, our ever-so-slightly sunburnt dried mangos, and broken almonds put back together with toffee. Each box keeps 8.9 pounds of food from going to waste, so it’s a gift we can all feel jolly about.
  • Reusable Gear
    Gift elegantly reusable food wrap by the innovative folks at Abeego, a game-changing Stasher bag, or one of those oh-so-sleek water bottles by S’well. If this gear sounds up your alley, we wrote an article to help you find the best option for your life and gifting pleasure!
  • Homemade Delights
    There are few gifts more delightful and unique than something you created in your kitchen. No matter your skill level, there’s a homemade gift you could make like cookies, pickles, hot sauce, kombucha, or even beer! In addition to being thoughtful and utterly unforgettable, gifts like these require zero wrapping paper and are infinitely adaptable to the tastes of the person you’re giving them to. You can even get some of the building blocks to your kitchen project in your next Imperfect order to spare you an extra trip to the store during the season of crowds and bad weather. What’s not to love?
reusable wrapping paper

Wrap Thoughtfully

One of the most obvious sources of waste around the holiday is wrapping paper, so start by thinking outside the box. Try wrapping a present in newspaper or the foil liner in your Imperfect delivery. You can also use reusable totes to cut out the waste entirely – and the totes themselves become a bonus gift! You can also focus on gifts that don’t need wrapping paper, like homemade baked goods or experiential gifts like classes or lessons, special meals, or festive beverages to share.

No matter how you celebrate, remember that the most memorable part of the holidays is who you share them with. While there’s no perfect way to celebrate or give a gift, there are a million delightfully imperfect ways to make the holidays your own. We hope you got some inspiration out of this zero-waste gift guide! Cheers to a less wasteful and more memorable holiday season!

• Sarah Schulz
    December 16, 2020 at 8:45 pm

I have been saving the brown paper from my weekly Imperfect deliveries all year and am now using it to wrap my family’s gifts! I haven’t needed to buy any gift wrap!

December 23, 2020 at 11:20 pm

Such a great reuse of the packaging! Thanks so much for being a sustainable warrior with us!

• Cathy weseloh
    December 18, 2020 at 2:23 am

I tried to cancel this order Wednesday before noon. Also wrote a message to that effect. I have never spent more than $35 on an order, please please cancel this and return my money

December 23, 2020 at 11:18 pm

Please get in contact with our customer care team so we can help get this resolved with you: bit.ly/2LAewhA

• Judy
      December 24, 2020 at 12:14 am

I used cut out sponge shapes dipped in paint to make holiday decorations on the paper. Yeah us for reusing!

January 14, 2021 at 11:24 pm

Such a great way to celebrate the holidays and be sustainable! 💚

• Elissa Cantrell
    January 7, 2021 at 9:25 pm

I am in saving money because I am a senior citizen on social security disability so I don’t get much and I love making things so I would love to learn how to make these Christmas gifts by saving things I don’t like to litter and I don’t like to not recycle I used to live in a home in Livonia and I had two recycling bins and I had the list tacked right to my wooden garage door where we kept all the recycling bins inside and I would make my children recycle and do what the paper said but the note said the list and they did and now they live in their own homes and the one has plastic because they make their own shakes for their diets for nutrition and they do not recycle and my son just it hurts them because they won’t recycle and they have three children so it’s five them and my other son now him and his wife make the children recycle everything and they live in Redford so Michigan so I am proud that I taught him how to recycle and they have eight of them in their family so yes we are teaching our grandchildren some don’t want to do they don’t want to take time but they take the time to sit on the phone but the others yes they do recycle so I am proud I taught my sons how to recycle thank you and have a good day

January 14, 2021 at 11:40 pm

You sound like you’re an awesome sustainable warrior! 💚

• Michelle gonzales
    January 19, 2021 at 9:18 pm

Hello, i learned about your service after receiving a wonderful gift box from my neighbor during holidays.
    I am considering the service and wondered if you offered a free sample pack so we could try it out.
    Are there any discounts for first orders or a trial period before subscribing.
    My husband and i are both on socoal security and need to stick to our food budget each month.
    Thank you for assisting in the rescue of food waste.
    Michelle

January 20, 2021 at 10:58 pm

You’re welcome to use the code UGLYISTASTY to receive 20% off your first order 💚

• Judy
    January 28, 2021 at 12:27 am

Please cancel my membership I no longer wish to receive any boxes! I did not want one this month. Any chance of a refund?

January 28, 2021 at 7:12 pm

Please contact our customer care team at this link here so we can help get this resolved with you [bit.ly/2LAewhA]. Or you can also see how to cancel your account here: bit.ly/2mpJyyq 💚

• Colleen Perez
    September 7, 2021 at 1:33 am

Imperfect foods is a excellent idea for Christmas gifts for my kids as a gift with a reasonable price.

September 29, 2021 at 7:48 pm