breakfast

Flourless Banana Chocolate Chip Breakfast Muffins

These chocolatey banana oat muffins are warm and delicious fresh out of the oven, but also perfect for a week of ready-to-eat breakfasts. They’re healthy, but not too healthy, free of flour, and easy to make vegan. Let this be your go-to breakfast to please just about anybody.

Makes 12-14 breakfast muffins

Ingredients

• ⅓ cup Imperfect Foods Coconut Oil, melted
  • ⅓ cup honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
  • ¼ cup almond milk or water
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp Imperfect Foods Ground Cinnamon
  • 2 ½ cups Imperfect Foods Rolled Oats, pulsed in a food processor into a powder
  • ¼ – ⅓ cup chocolate chunks

Directions

1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together coconut oil and honey. Beat in eggs, then mix in mashed bananas and milk or water.
  3. Add and combine the baking soda, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. With a rubber spatula, fold in pulsed rolled oats, just until combined. Gently fold in chocolate chunks.
  4. Divide batter into prepared muffin tins and bake for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Recipe Notes and Variations

• These banana oat breakfast muffins can easily be made vegan. Just replace the eggs with “flax eggs” and swap the honey for maple syrup or agave.
  • If you want your muffins to have a light coconut-y flavor, we recommend using unrefined coconut oil. If you want the flavor of coconuts nowhere near your breakfast muffins, try refined coconut oil.
  • Had enough of this recipe and want to mix up your muffin rotation? Try these tasty cinnamon apple oat muffins or a few of our favorite healthy breakfasts that will get you out of bed before lunch.

Carol
    February 24, 2021 at 9:09 pm

What is the measurement for the almond milk/water? 1/4?
    Thank you!

Imperfect
      March 2, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Yes 1/4 cup 💚

Paula Smolenski
    February 24, 2021 at 9:21 pm

The recipe says 1/4 almond milk or water. Is that 1/4 cup?

Imperfect
      March 2, 2021 at 9:14 pm

Yes! 1/4 cup 🥰💚

Andrea
    February 24, 2021 at 10:21 pm

This is great, thank you! I was looking for a new make-ahead breakfast to make my mornings more leisurely. I can also easily make adjustments to increase whatever mineral/vitamin content I’m after.

Imperfect
      March 2, 2021 at 8:40 pm

So awesome! A prepped for morning makes for an easy and happy morning 💚☀️

jbsf
    February 27, 2021 at 10:23 pm

These are fantastic. I had only one banana so I substituted a roasted sweet potato and it worked! I also had about 1/4 cup of barley flakes and used that in the oat mix. I did not process it all the way to flour consistency so it still has fiber.

Imperfect
      March 2, 2021 at 9:05 pm

Mmm! 😛 So glad you were able to try these out and that you substituted them to make them fit your tastes! The sweet potato sounds like it would be SO delicious! 😍

Denise
    March 5, 2021 at 12:44 pm

Any idea of nutrition content? I’m trying to be mindful of calories/macros. Thank you. These look delicious and would be great for a make-ahead breakfast.

Imperfect
      March 5, 2021 at 7:30 pm

You can use this calculator [bit.ly/34aaVyl] to find out the nutritional information of this recipe! 💚

Kathi
    March 8, 2021 at 5:17 pm

I took a chance (before the recipe was updated) and made this with 1/4 cup almond milk. I also used the IF 85% cacao chocolate discs that I processed into chunks. I love having them available. I froze a bunch so I can take out a couple at a time. There were just too many for one person to eat 😀

Kathi
    March 8, 2021 at 5:18 pm

I took a chance (before the recipe was updated) and made this with 1/4 cup almond milk. I also used the IF 85% cacao chocolate discs that I processed into chunks and used IF gluten free oats. I love having them available. I froze a bunch so I can take out a couple at a time. There were just too many for one person to eat 😀

KATHLEEN ROCHESTER
    June 4, 2021 at 2:37 pm

I don’t think JBSF needs to worry about processing out the fiber by making the oats powdery as long as they aren’t sifting anything out of the mix and removing it. Anyone with more knowledge?