Remember the first time you roasted your carrots in honey and thought that was genius? Well, meet miso. It’s the umami-packed superhero that makes just about any recipe taste 10 times better. These honey and miso roasted carrots perfectly balance saltiness, sweetness and are downright addicting. You’ll be looking for ways to make them the side dish of every meal only to find that they were the main event all along.
Makes 4 servings
Recipe inspired by Nami from Just One Cookbook
- 1 pound of medium-large carrots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp miso
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- Fresh thyme (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Wash and dry the carrots. Peel the carrots (optional) and place on a lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together honey, miso and soy sauce. Set aside for later.
- Drizzle your carrots in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and then toss. Spread the carrots out on the baking sheet and try not to let them touch too much. Giving them space will allow for more caramelization
- Place your baking sheet in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through. When the carrots are almost tender when pierced with a fork, remove from the oven.
- Brush honey miso mixture over carrots. Flip carrots and brush on the other side. Place back in the oven and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Garnish with thyme if desired, and serve warm.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- Did these honey miso roasted carrots put you in the mood for more root veggies? Try these honey roasted parsnips with dates and tzatziki from our friend Eden Grinshpan’s cookbook Eating Out Loud.