Shepherd’s pie is a classic English dish served alongside cozy weather. And since it’s pretty much always drizzling over there, shepherd’s pie is a favorite. While a classic shepherd’s pie is cooked with lamb (or beef, if you’re American) we opted for lentils. Not only are lentils one of the most climate-friendly proteins, but they absorb all the delicious savory flavors you cook them in, making them a great meat alternative. We love this recipe because it’s perfect for a cozy night in and makes the whole house smell delicious.
Makes 4-6 servings
- 4 pounds russet or Yukon potatoes
- 4 tbsp butter, or vegan butter
- 1 cup milk, or unsweetened cashew milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Imperfect Foods Green Lentils
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 8 oz button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Prepare the mashed potatoes. Fill a large pot with salted water. Peel and quarter potatoes, and place into pot. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, or until a fork inserted into the potato is tender. Drain.
- Warm milk in the microwave in 10 second increments, until warm.
- Add butter to the potatoes and begin mashing. Pour in milk a little at a time while mashing until you reach desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the lentil filling. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Combine lentils, thyme and broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring often, until softened, about 8-9 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add onion, carrots and garlic and cook until tender, another 8-9 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste, stir until well combined and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for another minute. Add lentils, broth, and peas and cook until thickened. Remove thyme stems.
- Transfer lentil filling to a 3-quart casserole dish and spread into an even layer. Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake pie in the preheated oven until potatoes are beginning to brown, about 30 minutes. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- This recipe for lentil shepherd’s pie pairs well with a night in, a good book, and a side of these honey miso roasted carrots.
- Making your own broth for this recipe is easier than you think. Here are a few tips on how you can turn scraps into delicious stock.