unwasted podcast

Zero Waste Clothing with Zero Waste Daniel

Did you know that over 20 billion pounds of textiles are thrown away in the United States every year?

Just like the food industry, the clothing industry creates a shocking and honestly overwhelming amount of waste. So what can we do about it? After getting frustrated with how much fabric he saw going to waste in the fashion industry, Daniel Silverstein quit his job and started his own company, Zero Waste Daniel, focused on turning fabric scraps into stylish new clothes. For every piece of clothing they make, they recover about a pound of fabric scraps from going to waste. He stopped by our podcast to teach us how he’s working to make the fashion industry less wasteful.

The design process isn’t complete until we think about waste.”

Daniel Silverstein

Episode Show Notes:

1. Learn more about Zero Waste Daniel and where you can buy their clothes on their website and be sure to follow them on Instagram.
  2. Daniel was the third podcast guest to recommend the documentary “The True Cost,” which takes a necessary but sobering look at the dark side of the fashion industry.
  3. Daniel’s go-to karaoke song is “No Scrubs” by TLC.

Want to learn more about sustainable fashion and the environmental footprint of our clothing? You have to listen to our conversation with Taryn Hipwell of Beyond the Label and the team behind Rewilder!

• William A Peary
    March 17, 2021 at 3:07 pm

Do something soon about the box / silver insulating asap. That should be the number one priority.

March 26, 2021 at 9:41 pm

Stay tuned for more information around this to come!

• Dalia White
        July 22, 2021 at 2:10 am

what other options are there I would quit the program if i had my produce come in a reusable box . There is nothing wrong with the cardboard box they can be reused

• Imperfect Foods
          July 23, 2021 at 1:08 am

Due to strict food safety regulations, we can’t reuse the boxes, so we don’t have any plans to include them as part of our Packaging Return Program. We would recommend reaching out to local food banks in your area to see if they’d be able to utilize them!

• Dale A. Hawkins
      April 21, 2021 at 10:04 pm

Good to hear you’re giving opportunity to return. Thank You

• Imperfect Foods
        April 23, 2021 at 10:34 pm

We’re so excited to have this program back up and running! 🙌💚

• Karen
      June 27, 2021 at 7:13 pm

From my experience with the silver insulating it iS eco friendly. And keeps food from spoliing further.

June 29, 2021 at 8:03 pm

Yes! Especially now that we’re taking those liners back to be repurposed! Read more about that here: bit.ly/3ukkKWy 💚

• Karen
    June 27, 2021 at 6:42 pm

I am all about not wasting food. I buy Ginger root by the pounds .Enough to fill a Stasher and freeze them and take out what i need. I use alot of Ginger Root. And whenever i go to get it the store is always out. So now I am a hoarder of ginger Root. From tea to Morning Star farms Veggitizers Popcorn chicken to make orange chicken.
    Garlic and Ginger and onions are a staple.
    We don’t waste anything. I slcie all my onions and freeze them in a Stasher. I freeze whole garlic and take out what i need.
    There is so much that can be frozen so it won’t go bad. When you grow up in poverty there is no such thing as waste. I learned fro man early age to freeze certain foods and canning. Very economic.
    I don’t make enough money to be throwing out bad or rotting food.

June 29, 2021 at 8:01 pm

Thanks so much for being a food waste warrior with us! All of these tips are awesome! 💚

• ELAINE ROSE
    July 14, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Just want to say how much I appreciate Imperfect Foods approach to sustainable packaging. I am happy when I see all the “naked” fruits and veggies in my delivery box. I also learn a lot from the articles on how to make no-plastic and recycle friendly packaging a part of my shopping ethic. Feels so good to be part of the solution.

July 20, 2021 at 7:47 pm

We appreciate you so much! We recognize that we’re all in this together and we love being able to fight food waste with you! 💚

• Imperfect Foods
      August 4, 2021 at 11:28 pm

Your comment brightened our day Elaine! Thank you so much for being part of our food waste fighting family! 💚

• Alice
    August 30, 2021 at 8:55 am

There is no insulation in the walls of my apartment. I bought curtains that reach almost to the floor and shall add a second set of lined curtains on dowels that are mounted inside the window frames. I hope it keeps me warmer by trapping layers of air like fur and feathers do. Heating and electric costs continue to rise. I want to see how I can use the silver food liners to insulate the walls from about 3 or 4 feet up inside my rooms. I want to cover them with vinyl or cloth and maybe have a pretty chair rail board lining the top. It must be easy to maintain. Silver liners might have another use to help people who have been thrown on the street due to circumstances past their control. That may save lives. Have a blessed week.

September 29, 2021 at 8:04 pm

We’re sending you big love and you’ll have to tag us in your process of using the silver liners! We’ve seen it done before and we’d love to see it again! 💚✨