There are many reasons why one might want to make green popcorn. St. Patrick’s Day, Earth Month, National Shrek Appreciation Day, a green movie marathon to name a few. But what no one wants are unnecessary chemicals or suspicious green dyes in their snacks. Not only is this Matcha and White Chocolate Popcorn made green and delicious naturally, but it’s so good, you don’t really need another reason to enjoy it.
Makes 4 servings
- ½ cup Imperfect Foods Movie Theater Popcorn
- 3 tbsp Imperfect Foods Olive Oil
- 4 oz white chocolate pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- ½ tsp matcha powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Heat oil on high heat in a large pot with a fitted lid. After 1-2 minutes, test the heat by adding a couple kernels to the pot. Once they pop, your pot is hot enough. Immediately add the rest of the popcorn and cover the pop with a lid. Lower the heat to medium-high. Shake the pot side to side little to make sure the popcorn on the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Let the kernels pop for several minutes, and or until popping slows to a “pop” every few seconds. Wiggle the pan every now and then to shake up the kernels.
- Place popcorn in a large bowl and let cool.
- Prepare the white chocolate. Place white chocolate pieces in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until chocolate is completely melted. Add in matcha and whisk until blended.
- Drizzle chocolate matcha mixture over the top of the popcorn. Sprinkle salt and mix popcorn with your hands, until popcorn is evenly coated.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- If you don’t want to get your hands dirty you can use two spoons to toss your popcorn and toppings like a salad. However, we tried this and it was somehow even messier
- You can replace the olive oil with any high heat oil you like, just make sure you like the flavor.
- Every stove is different so if this is your first time making stovetop popcorn we recommend getting familiar with how powerful your stove is. You want to find that sweet spot where almost all the kernels get popped but none of them burn.
- All that green popcorn leaving you thirsty? Try this refreshing strawberry basil lemonade.