Most folks prefer to eat only the broccoli florets. This leaves the leaves and their tough stems uneaten and set aside for the trash. But while a broccoli stem may not be much fun to eat raw, when mixed with the right ingredients and seasonings, and made tender and crispy in the oven, they become a nutritious and crave-able snack. Or let’s be honest, we would happily make these Broccoli Nuggets as a full meal.
Makes 18-20 1.5-inch wide nuggets
- 2 broccoli heads plus their stems (about 16 ounces), cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Olive oil for brushing
- Preheat your oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Steam broccoli in a steaming basket over a pot of boiling water or in the microwave until tender, but not soft.
- Transfer broccoli into a food processor and pulse until broccoli bits are slightly larger than grains of rice. Place broccoli bits in a large bowl.
- Add bread crumbs, quinoa, eggs, cheese, and spices and stir to combine.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into 1.5-inch wide nuggets.
- Arrange nuggets on parchment paper and brush with olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until beginning to firm.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- For the sauce, we used this recipe for peach mustard sauce. But a honey barbecue ranch or classic ketchup would also be delicious with these Broccoli Nuggets. Or go full veg and make this vibrant Carrot Hummus.
- The cheese really takes these nuggets to the next level. So if you want to make yours dairy-free we recommend using a substitute like Miyoko’s Cultured Vegan Cheddar Cheese Shreds.