If you’re a vegan or vegetarian at a family gathering, you tend to think of sides as your friend. Who needs a burger when you’ve got grilled veggies, pickles, bread rolls, and corn on the cob? But then there’s the elusive potato salad. It’s a side, sure, but it’s often made with eggs, slices of questionable ham your grandma found on sale, and/or a mysterious white sauce that doesn’t seem vegan friendly. Until now. Packed with fresh herbs and lively ingredients, this Vegan Potato Salad has been dubbed “the best” by our team.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 pounds small creamer potatoes
- ¼ cup Imperfect Foods Olive Oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ shallot, chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped dill
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with about 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil over high heat and generously salt the water.
- Cook potatoes until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in half and place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, shallot, mustard, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over potatoes and toss. Serve your Vegan Potato Salad either warm, room temperature or chilled.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- “Creamer potatoes” are potato varieties that are harvested early to keep them small and tender. They’re usually Yukon Golds or Red potatoes, so if you can’t find anything that says “creamer potatoes” on the packaging, opt for those.
- If you’re like us, and the moment someone mentions “sides” you immediately want corn, try this delicious recipe for Mexican Corn Salad.