Grilling season? Wasn’t it snowing like five days ago? We can’t remember because these Grilled Pineapple and Tofu Skewers are summer on a stick. The rich sweetness released on the grill makes these skewers so delicious and taste way more complex than what they are. Which is essentially two ingredients + sauce. Make these skewers at your next backyard BBQ so the vegetarians have something delicious to eat other than iceberg lettuce.
Makes 6 skewers
- 12 oz extra firm tofu
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp soy sauce, or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp Imperfect Foods Olive Oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 ½ cups fresh pineapple chunks, about ½ pineapple
- Green onion, for garnish
- Preheat your grill to high heat.
- Prep the tangy ginger sauce: In a small bowl, mix together ketchup, soy sauce, 1 tbsp oil (preserve the other 1 tbsp for grilling), garlic, and ginger.
- Dry the tofu with a clean kitchen towel. Cut tofu into 2-inch cubes. Arrange tofu and pineapple chunks on skewers. Set skewers on a plate and set them aside.
- Lightly brush skewers with the remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil. Place skewers on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes. Flip skewers and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Brush tangy ginger sauce on the top of the skewers and flip. Cook for 1-2 minutes and brush more sauce on the other side. Flip again and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish your vegetarian skewers with chopped green onion. Serve hot with lots of sauce.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- Did the inclusion of ketchup in the recipe make you do a double-take? Ketchup adds a unique sweet, acidic, and umami flavor bomb you’d be hard-pressed to find elsewhere.
- For a spice kick in your tangy ginger sauce, we recommend adding Sriracha or Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce, to taste.
- For a meatier variation, try these Pineapple and Sausage Skewers.