Sun’s out, whole wheat buns out! This recipe for Grilled Bratwursts with Onions and Peppers is so easy it’s barely a recipe. You pretty much just pop everything on the grill and then pop it in your mouth. Plus it’s easy to make vegan. Simply swap out the brats for your favorite meat-free alternative.
Makes 8 servings
- 8 pre-cooked bratwurst sausages
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 hot dog buns
- Condiments as desired
- Heat grill to medium-low.
- Lightly drizzle onions with 1 tsp of olive oil and place on the grill. Cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, drizzle 2 tsp of olive oil on both the red and yellow pepper slices. Season with salt and pepper. Place on grill and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until you see grill marks. Flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place bratwurst sausage on the grill and cook for 5 minutes, or until you see grill marks. Turn and cook for another 5 minutes, or until you see grill marks on that side too. Remove from the grill.
- Serve brats in buns and divide onions and peppers amongst the brats.
- Serve immediately with the condiments of your choosing.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- For a tasty plant-based option, we love The Stallion from No Evil Foods. Not only does it have a great name, but it’s packed with sizzling flavor.
- We used super-soft whole wheat hot dog buns for our brats for an extra hearty element.
- A whole bratwurst can be quite a meal. To lighten things up, enjoy with a healthy veggie side.