Fact: a lot of kids go through an odd phase where they’re fascinated by insects. Some kids never grow out of it and that’s how we get entomologists. This fun and adorable Caterpillar Bento Box Lunch is for that kid. Or honestly, that entomologist. If there is no way your kid is going to eat the bed of lettuce beneath the caterpillar roll-up, feel free to leave it out. You’ve got bigger battles to fight.
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 2 Tablespoon hummus
- 2-3 slices of turkey
- 1 cup loosely packed spring mix lettuce
- ⅓ cup Imperfect Foods Dark Chocolate Covered Pretzel Pieces
- 1 granola bar
- 1 handful mixed berries
- 1 cherry tomato and carrot and cucumber scraps for assembly
- 1 bento box, or lunch box with dividers
- Make the caterpillar roll-up. Spread hummus on the tortilla and place turkey slices on top. Tightly roll the tortilla and slice it into 6-7 discs.
- In the largest section of the bento box, make an even layer of lettuce. Arrange the tortilla discs on top of the lettuce. Place carrot scraps around the discs to form “caterpillar legs.” Form a “caterpillar head” by sticking cucumber scraps “the antennas” into a cherry tomato. Place it on one edge of the “caterpillar.”
- In the remaining sections of the bento box, place berries, pretzel pieces, and a granola bar.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- If there is absolutely no way your kid is going to eat the bed of lettuce no matter how cute the Turkey and Hummus Caterpillar Roll-up is, feel free to leave it out. You’ve got bigger battles to fight.
- Any leftovers from the cutout shapes of fruit can also be chopped up and added to a very adult salad.
- If you loved this Bento Box Lunch for kids, check out our others.