Recreate restaurant-style pizza at home with this cast iron classic from Seemore Meats! For this recipe, you can of course, make your own dough from scratch, but we certainly won’t judge anyone who prefers premade pizza dough from the store. Incorporated in the skillet pizza toppings is Seemore’s beloved Chicken Parm Sausage which you can now get at Imperfect!
About Seemore Meats
Seemore brings veggies and whimsey to the meat aisle. We love that their sausages are made with up to 35% vegetables– making eating less meat feel like less of a sacrifice for folks who love great quality sausage. Be sure to check them out next time you’re shopping with us and learn more about their sustainability initiatives.
Makes 1, 9-inch pizza
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ball (20 oz) prepared pizza dough
- 6 oz (about 1 1/4 loosely packed cups) shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup your favorite tomato sauce
- 1 package (4 links) Seemore Chicken Parm Sausages, crumbled
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Fresh basil for garnish
- 9 inch Cast Iron Skillet
- If you’re using store-bought pizza dough, let it defrost completely according to the directions on the packaging.
- Add enough olive oil to a 9-inch cast-iron skillet to coat the entire bottom of the pan.
- Add prepared dough to the skillet and roll to coat it all over in olive oil. Use your fingers to carefully press the dough to the edges of the pan until the bottom is evenly covered with dough. If the dough shrinks back, just let it rest for about 10 minutes before trying again. Cover the pan with a clean towel and let the dough rise for 2 hours. You don’t have to let it rise for two hours but the crust will be more fluffy and delicious if you do.
- After the (optional) 2 hours, set a rack in the center of the oven and then preheat the oven to 450F. While your oven heats up, work on the toppings
- Chop up your sausage into slices or crumbles, whichever you prefer.
- With a spoon, add your tomato sauce to the pizza. The sauce should be in an even layer all the way to the inner edge of the crust.
- Uncover the dough and sprinkle about 1 cup of mozzarella evenly over the sauce.
- Sprinkle sausage crumbles on top of the cheese and add the rest of the cheese on top.
- Bake until cheese is bubbling and the bottom of the crust is golden brown (you can use a spatula to carefully take a peek at the crust) — about 20-24 minutes.
- Once done, remove from the oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Transfer skillet to heatproof surface and use a knife and a spatula to lift pizza onto a cooling rack or cutting board (don’t cut inside the pan, it could ruin the cast-iron).
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and basil before enjoying.