This spooooky Halloween treat will have you trembling with fright and delight! Especially when they all suddenly and suspiciously disappear. Our Cookies and Cream Ghost Tarts are made extra hauntingly delicious with the addition of our Upcycled Double Chocolate Chip Cookies in the mix.
Makes 6-7, 4-inch tarts
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Imperfect Foods Cocoa Powder
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp cold Imperfect Foods Salted Butter, cut into cubes
- ½ cup ice cold water
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 10 crushed Imperfect Foods Upcycled Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Black round sprinkles
- 3-4 inch ghost-shaped cookie cutter
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder and sugar. Add to a food processor fitted with the dough blade.
- Add cold butter to the flour mixture. Pulse several times until butter is about the size of a pea.
- Drizzle cold water over the dough mixture, one tablespoon at a time. Pulse a few times between each drizzle. Keep adding water and pulsing until the dough looks smooth and begins to come together.
- Turn dough out on the counter and shape into a disc. Wrap dough tightly with parchment paper or beeswax wrap and place in a sealable plastic bag. Chill in the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, add cream cheese, powdered sugar, and crushed cookies. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. Set aside.
- On a well floured surface, roll dough until it’s ⅛ inch thick. Use your cookie cutter to cut out ghost shapes.
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Place half of the ghost shapes on a lined cookie sheet. Place about 1 ½ tbsp of filling in the middle of each ghost. Leave about ¼ inch of space around the edge.
- Place the other half of the ghost shapes on top of the filled ones and crimp the edges with a fork. Puncture the tops of the ghosts with a fork.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly firm and the centers appear dry.
- Carefully transfer them to a rack to cool. This will help them firm up.
- Make the icing by whisking together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. If too thin, add more powdered sugar. You want the icing to be opaque.
- Spoon icing to completely cover cooled pop tarts. Top each ghost with two round black sprinkles to form eyes. Boo Appetite!
Recipe Notes and Variations
- This Halloween treat can easily be made dairy-free by using your favorite alt milk, like oat or almond, and Miyoko’s butter and cream cheese.
- For more Halloween treats and inspiration, check out our guide to Everything you Ever Wanted to Know About Pumpkins.
What makes our cookies upcycled?
In addition to lots and lots of chocolate, our Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are made extra special with the addition of upcycled coffee cherries. Coffee cherries, or cascara, are the fruit that surrounds coffee beans. About 46 billion tons of these cherries are wasted every year because there isn’t a big market for them. But we learned from coffee growers that this fruit has a lot of potential. For instance, once ground into flour, coffee cherries are deliciously at home in chocolatey baked goods. By valuing the whole fruit, coffee farmers are paid more, we reduce food waste, and you get a great excuse to eat more cookies.