Goldenberries, the bright orange fruits that look like little paper lanterns, have just landed at Imperfect! Goldenberries are tart and sweet with a flavor our team would describe as “slightly tropical like a mango and yet somewhat tomato-y.” Sound interesting? After removing the green husk, you can enjoy them as you would any fruit, in a smoothie, as a snack, or in this Uplifting Goldenberry Ginger Juice.
Because this is a juice, you need to strain out the pulp leftover from the goldenberries. But if you’re pro-pulp and want to make this recipe waste-free, you can skip step 2, and maybe even throw in an avocado or some other berries to enjoy this drink as more of a smoothie.
Makes 2-3 servings
- 1 cup goldenberries, roughly chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey, or more to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Strain the puree using a fine mesh strainer and compost the remaining pulp.
- Add more honey, to taste.
- Serve cold with ice.
Recipe notes and variations
- If you love the flavor of goldenberries but want to chill out the tartness, try mixing in other fruits like peach or pineapple. If you’re turning it into a smoothie, try swapping out the water for milk or your favorite milk alternative.