This Hawaiian Pasta Salad is perfect for making ahead of time to make hosting easier and is a particularly delicious way to keep those last few carrots and green onions rolling around in your refrigerator drawer from going to waste.
Makes about 10 servings (as a side dish)
- 1 lb. Imperfect Foods Penne Pasta
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ cup mayonnaise (Kewpie is preferred, but others will work! See note below)
- ¼ cup milk or milk alternative (plus extra if necessary)
- 2 carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup + 1tbsp green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook penne according to package instructions. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and drain well. Pasta should still be slightly warm to the touch. Place in a large bowl.
- Add apple cider vinegar and stir to allow pasta to absorb the vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add shredded carrots and ¼ cup green onion and mix until well combined. Let sit for an additional 10 minutes.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, milk, sugar, and sesame oil. Add to the noodle/vegetable mixture and mix until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. If needed, add a splash of milk before serving. Garnish with the remaining green onion.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- Kewpie mayo is the mayonnaise of the moment. The main reason this Japanese mayo is so popular is because of its deep umami flavor and its rich consistency from using egg yolks instead of whole eggs. A lot of grocery stores offer Kewpie mayo but you can also make your own version at home and include the whole egg if you prefer.
- Keep your Hawaiian Pasta Salad company with a few of our other favorite sides like our Garlic Lemon Roasted Artichokes, Honey Miso Whole Roasted Carrots, and Mexican Corn Salad.