In this recipe, we go back to basics, because not everything at the holiday table needs to have a long list of hard-to-find ingredients to be delicious! With a smattering of creamy goat cheese, these roasted rainbow carrots and candied pecans make for a perfect and simple side dish.
Thanks to their high-fat content, pecans are both one of the most delicious nuts and one of the quickest to go soft. The best way to store nuts to keep them fresh and crunchy for longer is in an airtight container away from direct sunlight. But if it’s a little too late, candying your pecans can make them crunchy and addictively delicious again.
- 1 ¼ lbs rainbow carrots, roughly chopped into 1-2-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp Imperfect Foods Unsalted Butter, cut into slices
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp Imperfect Foods Ground Cinnamon
- 5 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, to garnish
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups pecans
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat. Add pecans and stir continuously for 2-3 minutes, to lightly toast.
- Add brown sugar to the pecans and stir for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in salt, water and vanilla.
- Remove pecans from heat and spread evenly on one of the lined baking sheets and bake for 5-7 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Increase oven temperature to 425℉.
- Place chopped carrots on one of the baking sheets in a single layer. Sprinkle brown sugar and place slices of butter evenly around the carrots. Sprinkle salt, pepper and cinnamon all over the carrots.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the carrots are fork tender. Rotate the baking sheet halfway through.
- Place cooked carrots on a serving dish and sprinkle evenly with candied pecans and crumbled goat cheese. Garnish with thyme leaves.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- If you loved these Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Candied Pecans, check out our other simplified holiday sides like these Simple Sauteed Green Beans and Mushrooms.