Bubble and Squeak is a classic British do-it-all dish made from cooked potatoes and cabbage, mixed together and fried until it “bubbles and squeaks.” When it comes to leftovers, it’s one of the great go-to dishes to keep them from going to waste. So next time you’re looking for leftover ideas beyond stir fries or frittatas, pull out this recipe.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tbsp butter or oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup leftover roasted vegetables (such as brussels sprouts, carrots, squash, or peas), chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup shredded and cooked cabbage (optional)
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings such as fried eggs, chopped scallions, cheese, or bacon
- Heat butter or oil in a wide, shallow cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add roasted vegetables and cabbage (if using). Season with salt and pepper and stir.
- Add mashed potato and stir quickly, until vegetables and potatoes are combined.
- Press down on the skillet to fry for 5-7 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown and crisp. Add additional butter or oil around the edges if the mixture is looking dry. The mixture should begin making squeaking sounds at this point.
- Using the lid of the skillet or a plate to invert the bubble and squeak and slide it back into the skillet to cook the other side. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. Cut in wedges and serve with toppings like fried eggs, scallions, cheese, or bacon.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- This recipe is up to interpretation, as you can use whatever you have. It can also easily be made vegan as long as you leave out the butter, eggs, etc. To up the umami for a vegan version, try letting the onions caramelize a little longer and add toppings such as sun-dried tomatoes and Miyoko’s cheddar cheese.