Ghriba are Moroccan cookies baked all year round. They can vary in flavor but their defining trait is a crackly outside and a chewy inside. Enjoy these chocolate-y coconut cookies with a big mug of hot tea and your favorite holiday movie, or use them to make exceptional ice cream sandwiches. Try making yours with our 64% Dark Chocolate Discs that were rescued from going to waste.
Makes about 18-20 cookies
- 2 1/2 cup Imperfect Foods Almond Flour
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup Imperfect Foods 64% Dark Chocolate Discs
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Whisk together almond flour, coconut, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place chocolate discs and butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 15-second intervals until melted, stirring after each time.
- Stir sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract into the melted chocolate. Next, stir in the almond flour mixture until well combined. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Form tablespoons of dough into balls and roll each in powdered sugar to coat completely, leaving at least 2” between each ball. Place balls on the baking tray and gently press each cookie with the back of a spoon. Bake for 14-15 minutes, or until cookies are cracked and firm on the edges.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- If you loved these Chocolate Coconut Ghriba, be sure to check out the rest of the sweet treats in our Cookies From Around the World series like our Dark Chocolate and Cherry Biscotti.