A solid plan for leftovers is a great way to prevent food waste. This recipe is a particularly good way to plan ahead for a lot of leftover turkey because curry is one of those magical dishes that somehow tastes better the longer all the ingredients hang out together. Seriously, the only thing better than this curry is this curry after it’s sat in the fridge for a day.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 tbsp Imperfect Foods Salted Butter or oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb cooked turkey, shredding
- ¼ cup yogurt, coconut milk, or heavy cream
- 2 tbsp Imperfect Foods Almond Butter
- 2-4 tbsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ – ½ tsp chili flakes
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and soft, about 10 minutes.
- While the onions cook, mix garam masala, turmeric, coriander, cumin, chili flakes, and cardamon together in a small bowl.
- Add ginger, garlic, and the spice mix to the onions and cook for 1 minute, stirring the whole time. Add tomatoes and ½ cup of water and stir well. Partially cover the pot and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer curry mixture to a blender and blend on high until smooth. Return curry to the pot and stir in turkey, yogurt (or coconut milk or heavy cream), almond butter, and sugar. Cook for 5 minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper,
- Serve hot with rice.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- To make this curry vegan, leave out the turkey and add in more leftover veggies like roasted potatoes and carrots.