It can be hard to predict just how much mashed potatoes to make. And if it’s the holidays, there’s a good chance your mash is also competing with roasted potatoes and candied yams. Luckily, there’s a delicious solution for times when you go overboard. These Mashed Potato Blinis from Remix, Too Good To Go’s free downloadable cookbook, are the ultimate comfort snack and can easily be made with sweet potatoes or any other starchy spuds.
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup parmesan or cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs such as rosemary or chives
- 1/2 cup flour, divided into two
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil plus more as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- gravy, sour cream, or hot sauce (optional) to serve
- In a large bowl, combine cold mashed potatoes, grated cheese, egg, herbs, 1/4 cup flour, salt, and pepper.
- Shape potato mix into palm-sized patties.
- Place remaining flour into a shallow dish and lightly coat the potato pancakes in flour on both sides.
- Drizzle oil into a frying pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, pouring just enough to coat the surface.
- Fry mashed potato pancakes until crispy (about 3 minutes on each side), adding more oil as needed. Serve with your topping of choice.