Beet greens can be a little coarse on their own, but you can harness their mildly sweet and earthy flavor. Cook them in a little garlic and olive oil and they become silky and flavored with all the delicious things you cook them in. Try this Warm Whole Beet Salad and you’ll never throw out your beet greens again.
Makes 6 Servings
- 2 lbs beets, with leaves attached, washed
- 3 tbsp Imperfect Foods olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup Imperfect Foods Broken Walnut Pieces or Hazelnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tsp fresh oregano, or thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Remove stems and leaves from the beets. Chop stems and leaves into 2-inch pieces and set aside.
- Place beets in a large baking dish and rub all sides with 1-2 tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until fork tender. Set aside to cool.
- Place walnuts in a pan over medium-low heat. Toast walnuts, shaking the pan, until walnuts turn golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Wipe down the pan and add enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Heat over medium heat. Add beet greens and garlic and saute until greens are wilted and tender, about 5-8 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Use a sharp paring knife to carefully peel the roasted beets and cut into 1-inch cubes. Place in a medium bowl. Add cheese, balsamic vinegar, nuts, and herbs. Gently toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Arrange mixture on top of the sauteed beet greens and serve.
Recipe Notes and Variations
- Be sure to add homemade croutons or roasted chickpeas for a little extra crunch.
- Have some extra beets hanging around? Try our Beet, Arugula, and Goat Cheese Quiche.